Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Spotlight Interview: Ashley Sangster



Hello everyone! I got a chance to catch up with Ashley Sangster. She's the executive clothing designer and CEO of Parker Couture(parkercouture.com). As I've posted in a previous blog entry, myself and Ashley have join forces to create a clothing line inspired by our similar fashion visions. So, I wanted to give everyone a little background on her and what she does...Enjoy:

DL: For everybody who doesn't know, explain who you are and what you do.

Well, my name is Ashley Sangster and I am a mother to my daughter Parker. I love my family and take care of my home life the best I can. I have been designing and/or producing clothes since I can remember and decided to follow my dreams. I just like to think of the clothes and accessories I make as my artistic outlet. I try to make things that make people happy and express who they are.

DL: How did Parker Couture come about?

I decided to start a clothing company in high school, while taking a fashion design class. I had a daughter so I put things aside for a bit. I did pick things back up with the help of a group of young entrepreneurs. They helped me start the process, making it official March 5, 2007. Since then it has been a ton of research and learning new skills. Making clothes has been something I’ve always done. I tried Journalism and Marketing in college but I didn’t feel it. This has been the only thing I’ve enjoyed doing, no matter how hard it became.

DL: What sets Parker Couture aside from all other clothing lines?

The main thing that sets Parker Couture aside from other lines is that we produce custom items. Typically when a person goes into a store or on a website they don’t ask for your measurements or schedule face to face consultations. I aim to provide people with special pieces made specifically for them. Items that fit perfectly and are different from what else is out there. I don’t think there are too many other lines that provide the services I’m providing.


DL: Explain your ideal customer. What kind of women would you like to see wearing your designs?!


It would be hard to say since I produce clothes and accessories based on how I’m feeling and how I envision myself that day. If I’m happy the clothes may be colorful and bright. Or I may feel like being really edgy and daring. Each collection almost represents a different type of girl. Whatever the collection is, the woman wearing it would probably be fearless. A women that isn’t afraid to be different from the usual. Someone who is fashionable and edgy.

DL: Where do you see Parker Couture 5 years down the line?!

Well my ultimate goal is to have a boutique in Downtown Birmingham or Downtown Ferndale. Simply, I just would like to expand and be able to make clothes for as many people as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment